Monday, January 18, 2010

'Misa'

This is Misa. She is a one-year-old baby girl in Haiti who, according to the source of this photograph , had just woken up from a nap on the streets of Haiti where her family has been sleeping the last few days.
Of all the horrific images I have seen via the internet or t.v., this one really did me in.
I have a one-year-old baby girl too. She has that same little chubby neck roll as Misa and she took a nap today as well. The difference is that my baby girl woke up in a crib, in a house, warm and comfortable. She was smiling. And it makes me feel grateful, and guilty, and sad, and ashamed of all the trivial things I let consume me. As foreign and far away as Haiti is, one thing is the same, Misa has a mother and father who love her little neck rolls and I found myself feeling in a strange way happy as I thought about her today. Happy that she is alive

No comments: