Sunday, April 18, 2010

Recycled Crayons

I heard about this project a long time ago, but never thought I would actually do it. Well, I got sick of all the broken crayons I found laying around, so I thought I would save them and I finally had enough. Not that you need a ton, but I ended up having PLENTY. So if you are cheap like me, here is a fun little project you can do with or without your kiddos.

STEP ONE:

Peel paper off broken crayons.

STEP TWO:

Break crayons into smaller pieces (if they aren't already) and stick them in a muffin tin!
(I also read you can put them in silicon molds as well)

STEP THREE:

Stick muffin tin in oven (temp 350 or lower).

STEP FOUR:

Take out of oven when they are melted. (maybe 10-15 minutes?!)



STEP FIVE:

Let cool.



STEP SIX:

Color!!!


OK, so it is really that easy. I did find a problem with the crayons after they were made (and read it on Google after it happened). If you don't use CRAYOLA crayons, the crayons are super waxy and you have to kind of rub off the extra wax before the color starts to come through. But they still work! And my kids love them.

No comments: